Saturday, August 21, 2010

Kung Pao Shrimp

I love spicy food. And even more than that, I love the combination of sweet and spicy. Which has led me to a love affair with Asian food. However, I have found there are only a few places I like to order from...which leaves me making most of my Asian dishes at home. I also like healthy, so making it at home allows me to see what's going in it...

This is a recipe I tore from the pages of a magazine and altered to suit my taste. It was really yummy, and healthy enough to be served on my table...


Kung Pao Shrimp

Shrimp:
1 T. Chinese Rice Wine
1 t. cornstarch
1/2 t. salt
1 lb. peeled and deveined shrimp (I like the large shrimp)

Sauce:
1 T. sugar
2 T. water
1 T. balsamic vinegar
1 T. low sodium soy sauce
3/4 t. cornstarch
1/2 t. dark sesame oil

Remaining Ingredients:
2 T. canola oil
1 1/3 C. thinly sliced red bell pepper strips
1 T. minced garlic
1 T. minced peeled fresh ginger
1 t. crushed red pepper (or to taste depending on your heat tolerance)
1/4 C. chopped unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts
3 C. hot, cooked brown Jasmine rice

1. To prepare shrimp, combine first 4 ingredients; cover and chill 10 minutes
2. To prepare sauce, combine sugar and next 5 ingredients (through sesame oil).
3. Heat a med to large wok over high heat. Add canola oil to wok, swirling to coat. Add bell pepper, garlic, ginger, and crushed red pepper to wok; stir-fry 2-3 minutes. Add shrimp mixture to wok; stir-fry 2 minutes or until shrimp are done. Stir sauce; add sauce to wok. Stir-fry 30 seconds or until sauce thickens. Serve over rice. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts.

Mmmm...I'm hungry,

No comments: