Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Wow! I Impressed Myself.

Okay, I promise not to use this as a platform in which I congratulate myself on a job well done at the grocery every week, but today was a huge milestone for me. I saved more than I spent....way more!

Ready for this??

Spent $53.54

...and I saved....

(insert drum roll here)

$101.68!!!

This, my friends, is a savings of 66%. This is not something I've been able to master on a regular basis (obviously), but I'll take it when I can get it.

I had one HUGE ticket item that contributed to such savings....and can you believe it came in the form of FORMULA?? Here's how it happened...

Regular Price $18.99
Sale Price $16.49
Mfg Check $(7.00)
Coupon on can $(5.00)
Food Lion Coupon $(2.00)
Paid $2.49
(I wasn't sure about stacking a Manufacturers Check with a Manufacturers Coupon AND a store coupon, but they said the check doesn't count as a coupon....so I stacked away.)

I also got 3 bottles of Aleve (20 ct.) for free. A bottle of Tylenol for $.99. A box of Jolly Time popcorn for free. 2 packs of Stayfree (Reg. $6.39) for $.99 each. And Oral B toothbrushes for $1 each.

I then headed over to my local ALDI to check out their fresh produce. This is a generic grocery which I was unsure about, but the blogs I read always talk about how cheap and good their fresh produce is. And, wow, was it!

1 pint grape tomatoes $.69 (compared to $3.99 at my grocery)
Tri Color pack of Peppers $1.99 (compared to $3.99)
Avocadoes $.69 each (compared to $1.19)
8 oz. Mushrooms $.69 (not even sure what the price is at my grocery)
3 lb. Bag of Braeburn Apples $1.69

I also got milk for $2.19/gal, cheese for $1.69/8 oz., and butter $2.00/4 sticks.

(Note--ALDI can keep prices low, because overhead is low. You must bring your own bags, which I do anyway, and deposit a quarter for your cart. You get your quarter back when you return the cart.)

All in all, I felt quite proud of myself. By the end of the day I had spent less than $75 and I shouldn't have to go back to the store for at least a week. Not quite to my $40/week goal, but I'll get there!

Pinchin' pennies,

2 comments:

bugsy said...

I love it when I impress myself!!! Let's see...$40/week??? Wait for my next post...

Mama Jeannie said...

AWESOME Courtney! I am learning so much from you and my own girls. I've never heard of an ALDI store. I wonder if there is something comprable here? Would Sam's be something like ALDI?